The New York Historical Fencing Association is a school of Historical European Martial Arts (HEMA). Our studies are based on the teachings of the 14th century German fencing master Johannes Liechtenauer. Although we focus primarily on the longsword, our curriculum includes wrestling, dagger, sword and buckler, spear and poleaxe. NYHFA is a member of the HEMA Alliance.

New Location!

NYHFA Longsword Curriculum is now being offered in Manhattan, through Sword Class NYC, taught by NYHFA Instructor Tristan Zukowski. Please visit SwordClassNYC.com/Longsword for all information pertaining to class schedule, class fees, etc.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Our loaner cutter lives again!

You all know I despise our loaner cutter. I bought this thing, a Hanwei Tinker sharp longsword, thinking it would at least be servicable, but it turned out to be useless.

So, when a sword is pice of crap and you can't get it work, do you throw it away? No! You make it sharper! On the way to my mailbox are the following:

(for my 1x30 grinder:)
320 grit belt
600 grit belt
1000 grit belt
2000 grit belt
leather belt (for the grinder!)
honing paste (for the leather belt)

When I am done with this thing, it will draw blood if you look at it funny. I will also razorize some of your personal swords, once I make all of my horrible grindng mistakes on the loaner and get them out of my system. This is a good day for NYHFA.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of that scene in The Thirteenth Warrior, after Antonio Banderas takes the massive 'viking' sword to a wheel and grinds it down into a little scimitar-type thing..

    "When you die, can I give that to me daughter??" :-D

    ReplyDelete